Did you know that there is no set time limit that someone can be detained in immigration detention facilities? It’s no wonder then that an alarming number of refugees are becoming depressed to the point of suicide and self-harm in detention. The Australian Human Rights Commission released a report yesterday morning, outlining their concern with the detrimental effects of such prolonged detention, particularly in the Villawood Detention Centre. Tom Changarathil spoke to Amnesty International Refugee Campaigner, Alex Pagliaro, and he asked Alex if she had seen similar findings.
- "“These are old archaic defences" We spoke with @TammyMLC earlier about the #gaypanicdefence wp.me/p3qrJ1-USl https://t.co/hZZi4axgWX 16 hours ago
- The @AdelaideFesCent's #WorldofCultures program begins this wknd! We're speaking about the opening concert "Rumi In Their Own Words" 18 hours ago
- Are #driverlesscars a replacement for a qualified driver? Tune in now to hear what Dr Peter Fisher from @RMIT thinks #technology #automation 18 hours ago
- Rihgt now, we're speaking with @TammyMLC about the #gaypanicdefence and why it needs to go, tune in! 19 hours ago
- Up shortly, we'll be crossing the seas to #Europe & discussing the latest in the #londonattack & growing tensions b/w Turkey & Germany 19 hours ago